1. The US of A is Huge!
With an area of 3.8 square miles, the USA is home to 50 different geographically placed states. With an estimated population of 328 million (2019), the USA is the third most populous country in the world. Americans are a racially and ethnically diverse society due to the vast immigration they have seen over the decades. With regard to the states, each one has its unique characteristics that shape it.
2. They have beautiful parks & gardens
Beautiful green forests, majestic spaced mountains, wild reserves, red sand, and endless valleys; all make the USA a beautiful place to visit. Parks are more than just recreational areas but an opportunity to discover oneself and experience new and unforgettable adventures. The estimated amount of natural green spaces in the USA is about 84 million square miles. The USA hosts about 412 national parks; with the most famous being the Mammoth Cave National Park with the longest cave system in the world. Another one is the Death Valley which is located at the lowest point in the western hemisphere in California. Finally, the largest sand dunes in the world are found in the National Big Dunes, New Mexico at the Yosemite National High Mountains.
3. Get ready to tip!Tipping culture is big in North America and you should be prepared to leave an additional 15% over the bill as a tip for the person serving you. If you don’t tip, it is considered rude and you may get a few stares. The minimum wage in the USA is lower than that in Europe, and thus, tipping helps workers make an additional income that can sustain them. So remember; whether you are in a restaurant, hotel or in a taxi, it is important to leave a tip.
4. Get ready for some strange & funky festivals!Americans love their festivals! The USA hosts festivals specifically dedicated for garlic, mushrooms, shrimps, and other foods. Of course, they also host amazing music festivals that bring together some of the best artists in the country.
5. Card is king
Bank cards are actually the preferred method of payment in most places. Credit cards come in number one as the preferred method of payment, followed by debit card, and finally cash. Some places may not even accept cash, so make sure you have your bank cards ready to go.
6. Get ready for great food!
American cuisine is one of the most famous cuisines in the world. American dishes are at the forefront of books, magazines, and TV programs. Some of the most famous chefs in the world are actually American. The unique thing about American cuisine is the incredible influences it has had. America is known for its immigration and you can see that reflected in the food. One plate of food can be inspired by ingredients and flavors that come from different cultures. The other thing that’s unique is their portion sizes. Americans love big portions of food. Among the most popular foods are grilled ribs and hamburgers.
7. There are islands worth exploring
There are many islands in the United States of America that are worth a visit. The most famous of which is Hawaii Island, Kodiak Island in Alaska, Puerto Rico Island, Prince of Wales Island, Chichagof Island, St. Lawrence Island, Admiralty Island, and Univac Island. These islands all have stunning landscapes, mild weather, and various activities to do.
8. The United States does not use the metric measurement system
Welcome to the land of miles, feet, inches, and Fahrenheit! Do not be surprised, as the United States differs from the rest of the world in the units of measurement, it does not use the International Units System SI or the metric system as an official system for weights and measures. Instead, they use the traditional units of measurement that were used in the British Empire as a standard system since 1824. Miles instead of kilometers, feet to measure small distances instead of meters, and weight in pounds and not kilograms. They also use gallons to measure the number of liquids instead of liters, and Fahrenheit to measure the temperature instead of celsius. It’s good to know that 44.6 Fahrenheit is 7 degrees Celsius and that 1 mile is 1.61 kilometers.
9. Flying the best form of transportation in the USA to move round the states
If you want to take a land journey between states, it will take you about 40 hours to drive 2,800 miles from Los Angeles to New York. With long distances between states and the high cost of land transportation, the Americans prefer to fly between the states because the prices of airline tickets are relatively low between states.
10. People are friendly!
They probably have one of the most open cultures in the USA. People are friendly and can easily open up to you in a conversation. They aren’t afraid to spark up a conversation with a stranger and they are usually very nice to tourists!